Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker


Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Birthing Classes

Love 'em or Leave 'em?

My main concern is that I just don't have a lot of time. Should I cram it in the schedule or just do it the old fashioned way and take advice from my mom/aunts/cousins/women that have gone through it before?

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I could NOT fit it in my schedule when I was pregnant with Jonathan, which was weird because I really wasn't that busy :) But they were just the wrong days for us. So I asked for lots and lots of advice, and recorded and watched TLC's A Baby Story every day. Honestly, I feel like I was pretty prepared! Especially A Baby Story helped, because I got to see a lot of different births--C-sections, water births, long births, short births, epidural births, non-epidural births, etc. I got to see the patterns (like, the 3 stages of labor), but I also got to see how different every labor is.

But I'm sure that the classes are really useful, as well. And there was a part of me that knew I wanted an epidural, so in my mind I was sort of just preparing for the point when I was 3cm and got my epidural. Well, my epidural only worked on half of my body, and it was good that I had learned some ways to get through hard contractions.

Lizzie C. said...

They are not a requirement. You can get by just fine without them. Yeah there is a ton of information there, but you can always find it elsewhere. All you really need to know is how to breath through contractions. Pushing, they will explain it to you when the time comes. Skip it. YOu've got a lot going on.

Juan and Anamaria said...

The only thing that I got out of them was how to breathe, which I could of learned from other places. I agree with Lizzie and ?Lisa! :)

Lisa said...

Oh, and I have advice on pushing. Hahaha :) Maybe it's a little too gross for the regular public, but it saved my life ;)